Sunday 15 July 2007

Weekly Update

Has it really been a week already? Between work and other Real Life stuff I have been so busy this week and it has really just passed me by. I did manage to fit in some modding though, building about five minutes of gameplay for the prolog.

The prolog charts the early years of the PCs life, but just because the PC is placed as a character with a preset past, it doesn't mean they can't have any choice about things! As an example, one of the early parts of the prolog has the PC playing a game of hide and seek.

As the screenshot shows, there is quite a choice for PCs in different motivations. I decided early on that I wanted to move away from alignments towards a more organic style of choices. This frees me from the need to write the classic (and somewhat predictable) player choices, and opens up a more free-form way for players of alignment restricted classes to play. Basically, you play the character, not the alignment.

In other news, I decided to set the prolog within the Forgotten Realms, rather than a generic setting. After a quick question over at the weave , I decided on Yulash area just before the Time of Troubles which gives me a juicy background for town banter and such.

I have another busy week next week, but should hopefully get at least half way through the prolog build. No featured area this week, so a couple more shots of hide and seek instead (yeah, I know I am lazy!).

3 comments:

Wyrin said...

I agree with your reasoning on alignment choices. I'm using a similar approach with flashbacks to allow the player to choose various options to shape their personality. At first I tried using alignment shift, but didnt feel happy with them, and after the discussion on the boards, took them all out, and I think there is more freedom and less of a sense of having to conform to an alignment type by removing them. Also, whilst good/evil shifts are easier to accomodate, lawful/chaotic are harder to use, without them feeling forced or artificial

Looking good so far

Anonymous said...

Are you sure present tense wouldn't be better?

Lorft said...

I have mixed my tenses a little on that node, I need to go back and clean up that dialog so it is all past tense.

It is the start of a flashback, so seen in sequence past-tense does make more sense. After that one conversation, it reverts to present tense (at least until the start of the next flashback).