Saturday 30 June 2007

Feature Highlight - two gameplay modes

Its no secret that I like hard games, and my first module release highlighted this with its tactical combat and cryptic puzzles.

However from the feedback I received, it soon became apparent that not all people play games for the same reasons, some like a more relaxing ride.
Not willing to sacrifice making a game I would want to play, I decided to integrate two different modes into Planescape Legacy. The first mode is story mode that has easier battles. The second mode is challenge , with harder fights and a score tracker that will allow you to post to a high-score board at the end of the game. So PS:Legacy should have something on offer for everyone!

3 comments:

Berliad said...

That's an intriguing design choice.

I'm honestly not sure which way I'd play. I like a good challenge now and then, but a module longer than Cry Wolf with the level of difficulty featured there might become a bit too frustrating for my tastes. ... That has me leaning more towards story. But then again, if the combat gets too easy, it can make the story seemed rushed and unsatisfying. My guess is that I'll go for the challenge mode, and then just turn the difficulty down via the engine if necessary in order to have fun. -B

Zach Holbrook said...

You know what? That's a great idea. It's a lot more work for you, though!

It might also work with resting, which is a problem I've been going back and forth about with H&C. You could set a variable at the beginning of the game that only allows resting in inns for players who want a more challenging adventure. Something to think about...

Lorft said...

Both story or Challenge mode have the same combats, all of which are unique fights. There isn't any filler.

Story mode basically lowers the amount of extra enemies and switches off a few special abilities on the bosses. So really not too bad, just a few extra checks in the scripting :)