Monday 11 June 2007

Special update: contest over.

Well, Obsidian's Grimm contest is finally finished and it is a big congratulations to Jclef for his entry Grimm Brigade. It is certainly a very good example of the H&S genre, especially considering the short time lines.

Whilst I am at it, I would like to congratulate the other authors who entered the competition. At the end of the day, it was truly a massive feat to get a module completed in such a short period. I would also like to thank everyone that posted on the vault. The feedback of knowing people are playing and (sometimes) enjoying our creations is the only thing modders ever receive. Lastly, I would like to thank my family, friends and my manager, without whom. . .

Wait a sec, this is sounding like an awards speech, and I didn't even win!


Now for a closing word on the contest itself. It was a fun theme, and it started up quite nicely. However since then, other than a single sticky on a forum there has been virtually no promotion or mention of the contest whatsoever. In addition, it was (and still is) unclear as to what criteria the modules were judged on, or what the winner will receive. For myself, the feedback from the Obsidian voting team was less verbose than the shortest of public comments the mod attracted.

Altogether, I can't help but feel that the next contest needs more planning and structure, or else Obsidian may quickly loose the interest of community participation.

Anyhow, it is back to writing dialogs for me

2 comments:

Berliad said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Berliad said...

er...deleted and reposted to corrected typo...
----
I completely agree with your critiques of how the contest was run. Compared to the Bioware writing contest, for example, the amount of attention this contest received was really small. Granted, there were fewer entries, but still.

And to hear that you received such paltry feedback from Obsidian is a bit disappointing.

What I'd like to see from them, at least at this point, is a 1-5 ranking of the top modules in the contest (based on their internal rankings) along with a sentence or two describing the best elements of each module.

BTW, just saw your blog! Always nice to see another one out there. :) -B